Friday, December 11, 2009

Photos

My wife and I were in London recently. I tagged along on the tail end of her business trip. It was great! We hit the usual stuff: Big Ben, the British Museum, Harrod's and Hyde Park. We also had some great date nights and awesome dinners, but I couldn't stop thinking about our daughter. I had dropped her off with her grandparents in San Diego before heading across the pond. This was the first time I was away from her and I have to admit that it was a little difficult. I kept wondering what she was doing at the exact moment I was thinking about her.

So I confided in my wife that I missed our little girl and was thinking about her a lot. My wife went into her purse and pulled out the smallest photo album I had ever seen. It couldn't have held more than 10 photos. I had been in my wife's purse - before at her request - to retrieve car keys or a credit card, but had never noticed the photo album. Guys aren't exactly looking to hang out in the wives purses. We want to be in and out of there as quick as possible, so as not to be seen. (Am I right guys?)

I opened the photo album and inside were pictures of our daughter and me, and even a few of our dog. My wife told me she never leaves home without it and she looks at it often when she is back at the hotel room after a long day of meetings while on business trips. I immediately felt better.

In our digital age it's nice to have photos on your computer or your iPhone, but nothing beats an actual photo of the person you love and being able to hold it in your hands. We had a nice moment together, my wife and I, just looking at the pictures and remembering when they were taken and how our daughter has grown over the last year.

I now carry a picture of my family in my wallet. I know that's totally old-fashioned, but that's okay.

I appreciate your interest.

Thank you,

The Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment